Song title: 海の声 (umi no koe) – transalates to ‘the voice of the sea’
Singer: Kiritani Kenta (as Urashima Taro)
Year of release: 2015
The song in focus today is an original CM (Commercial Message, aka advertisement) song of au‘s foldable smartphone in Japan.
Here are 5 big reasons why this song is chosen:
- The popularity of this song is immense. It sold over a million copies since its December release (first heard on CMs in July 2015). It even became JOYSOUND (karaoke chain in Japan) BEST KARAOKE OF THE YEAR 2016.
- The shamisen (Japanese instrument) in the song is played by Kiritani Kenta. He’s not a singer or instrumentalist by profession, but is often praised for his singing when he goes karaoke with his friends.
- Interestingly, the lyrics of the song is also not written by a professional lyricist. The lyrics is written by Dentsu’s planner for the au series, Shinohara Makoto, and is about the feelings of longingness from Ura-chan to Oto-chan. The music is written by BEGIN‘s (a band that does Okinawan music) Shimabukuro Masaru.
- It is officially covered 5 times, including 2 English covers by Matt Cab and ISLAND BAG respectively.
- The song was recently sung at the biggest year end programme in Japan, Kohaku Uta Gassen. It was such a moving performance! You can watch it from the video below.